Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day. My song for Steve (my dad).

Happy Father's Day to all of you dads out there. My dad passed away in 2006 after a long battle with diabetes and leukemia. The very first entry of this blog from February 2014 tells the story about my Dad (James Stephen Hazlett) and how he opened the door to classical music for me. For this I will always be grateful.
My dad was dull...at least that was the running joke in our family. He loved classical music, most of all Bruckner and Mahler. He owned more versions of each Bruckner and Mahler Symphony than anyone else on the planet I believe. I used to get on his case about why he did not listen to Bach or Vivaldi??? And how could he turn his back on Elvis, Sinatra and the Beatles? He wore the same clothes, the same watch and the same shoes throughout his life. We thought he was dull....but it was with respect and affection that we said this. He loved crew cuts, chopped steak, watches, Law and Order, Pizza Hut, Kung Pao Beef, Starbucks espresso, and Paris, France.
I deviated from my classical music path in my early teens...I discovered the Beatles, started playing the guitar, discovered jazz, started playing the upright bass and so on. I wanted to write songs and perform in public. I wrote this song shortly after he passed but never shared it with anyone except my mom and sister. But today I am sharing it with you.
Happy Father's day dad. I miss you always.


No comments:

Post a Comment